Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It is people who decide the fate of a state

I have lived in different parts of India, some of which are much better
places than Andhra. Let me share an interesting and contrasting
experience I had, which summarizes why we are at this stage in Andhra.

Time line: 1980s

It was in late 80s that I was transferred to Baroda. This incident has
happened immediately after I moved to Baroda. One day, we went to Vimal
Show Room in the city to buy a saree. After buying a couple of sarees,
my wife insisted that I buy something for myself. I started explaining
to her that I brought only Rs.1500 in cash and I would buy my clothes
later. We were having this conversation in Telugu. Somehow, the
Gujarati salesman understood what we were discussing and intervened. He
said,"sir, madam is asking you to buy clothes for you and why don't
you? Please do not worry about money. You can pay us when you visit our
showroom next time." He used his astute salesmanship and convinced us
buy clothes. Remember, the guy had never seen us before but he
willingly took the risk of around Rs.1000, which was a good sum in
those days. He never asked for my address or telephone number. He
simply trusted us. As you might have expected, I went straight to the
Bank, withdrew money and went back to the showroom to pay the balance
on the same day.

Compare this story with an experience I had in my native town,
Rajahmundry.

Time line: early 70's.

I grew up in Rajahmundry and our families have been living there for
more than 80 years. One day, as my father could not be reached and
there was some emergency, my mother asked me to go the drug store
around the street corner to get medicines for one of my siblings. My
mother told me to tell the drug store owner that money for the
medicines would be given later but on the same day. She could not go
herself as she was required to stay in hospital. The shop owner knew
our family very well. He and my father were good friends. Still, he
refused to give medicines to me stating that it was against his drug
store's policy to sell medicines on loan.

You can make your own conclusions from the above anecdote.

During my five-year stay in Gujarat, I came to know that GIDC (Gujarat
Industrial Development Corporation)was the best in the nation in
industrial investment. People used to take pride in returning loans to
GIDC as they believed that more money in circulation would lead to
economic growth. I do not want to comment on AP Industrial Development
Corporation though I have detailed knowledge about what happens there.

We deserve leaders we get. If people change, leaders will change.


Vittal Anantatmula

No comments: