Monday, December 12, 2005

Administrivia...


Folks,

This weekend has seen some unfortunate and personally focussed
messages.
They are unfortunate as we wasted our intellectual bandwidth by
focussing on individuals and what they did or did not do.

When anyone, more specifically one of our members, did some good, no
matter how big or small that deed is, we should commend him/her. I
think what Satish did during Tsunami disaster was commendable. The
spririt of helping others deserves our appreciation. There may be some
confusion about who should get the qudos. My thinking on this is,
should it matter?

Even if there is some sense that there may be some exaggeration, does
it matter? Of all, this group is the least equipped to be the police.
Still, I have no problem expressing my appreciation to such
individuals, companies, groups or whoever. I hope the group sees the
merit of this stand. I strongly believe in the philosophy of appreciate
publicly and correct the mistakes in private, if any.

The suggestions for corrections are best served if taken off line and
in a one on one fashion, especially when we know the individuals.

I request all members to be judicious in their langauge and how they
put forward their arguments. We should either learn, teach or discuss
the merits for overall good. Other intentions should be kept private.

As the moderator, I do have the right to employ my judgement and at
times I am likely to be off guard. I bank on your judgement equally.

There are many issues of import that affect all us and our people. I
thank all of our members who spend their time thinking about them,
writing about them and reading them to put up spirited and constructive
arguments. These discussions have taught me a great deal and I hope you
did find some useful too.

Thanks for hanging in there! Keep the discussions going!!

Regards,
Chandu

No comments: